BR hasn't regained consciousness since 8pm last night. He was moaning and yelling off and on most of the night, but since I couldn't get him to swallow anything, there wasn't much I could do. When the hospice nurse came out this morning, she told me to give him the methadone rectally, and to dissolve his Ativan in 1/2 cc of water, then use a medicine syringe to put it between his lower lip and gum. He's now resting comfortably again.
The hospice doctor offered two options: admit him into a hospital for a full battery of tests and treatment, or keep him at home and comfortable. I chose the latter -- it's what he wants. We will continue with the IV antibiotics, and the next 24-48 hours will be make or break.
Light a candle and say a prayer for him, please.