Sunday, April 18, 2010

Another rough night

BR didn't sleep well at all last night. In addition to moaning and yelling, he started forming sentences. "Honey, please help me" was repeated for six hours straight. Unfortunately, this was a monologue, and I couldn't get him to give me any instructions on what needed fixing. So I continued with the Ativan until morning.

Then around 9am, I asked him how he was doing, and he responded, "my legs and feet are killing me." I pushed my luck and offered him some water through a straw, which he eagerly drank. Not knowing how long this swallowing opportunity would remain, I quickly gave him his oral meds hoping they would reduce his leg pain. Before long, he was finally sleeping.

I called the hospice nurse to ask for more help keeping him comfortable. He called the doctor and they recommended checking BR into Christopher House for in-patient pain management. BR is now comfortable in a private room -- one that has that has Willie Nelson as its generous benefactor.

10 comments:

Richie said...

Who is looking after you Steve?
Strength dear friend.

gina said...

Steve...I drank aalot last night and got sleep....today is another story...just the numbness, actually mindlessness...just going about the day
prepping for the Fest

drinking again sounds goood...

I love you both dearly
gina

Anonymous said...

Steve-
Roger and I are praying for Bob and for you. We love you both so much!
Terri

Kim said...

Steve, thank you so much for updating despite everything you must be feeling right now. It's been said by others, but I'll add that you and BR are constantly in my thoughts. Sending you both enormous amounts of love.

Cranky said...

Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about you two all day.

Anonymous said...

Thinking and praying for you both. Love you.

Randall, Myriam and Adelaide.

Karen Sciortino said...

I love you both. You are both in my prayers. If you need anything let me know.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you both and holding you close in prayer.

Love,
Andrew and Meredith

Unknown said...

When you two are not on my screen you are in my head and heart. I wish you both peace.

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick

Herrad said...

Hi Steve,
Been thinking of you both.
Love.
Herrad
ps heartbroken for you both.