Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mom is doing much better

For those of you who don't know, my mother was hospitalized in early April with an infected cyst on her groin. While in the hospital, the infection spread rapidly, and required major surgury and antibiotics to bring under control. Her recovery has been a slow process -- some of the wounds have still not healed.

Mom was released from the nursing facility on July 8th. Having recently been through a similar experience with BR, I flew home to offer what assistance I could to my Dad and sisters. Mom was pretty weak, and had trouble getting up from a seated position. We got the house arranged to be as comfortable as possible, interviewed caregivers to help when the kids couldn't be around, and marveled at how calmly Mom was taking her new physical limitations.

As I flew back to SF, I prayed that Mom and Dad would continue to find the strength. For the caregiver that was necessarily invading their space. For us kids, whose personal issues (we should write a book) got a big dose of perspective.

I also felt some guilt for not being more available to help out. Thank goodness for internet medical supply stores! But most of all, I felt pride in how we pulled together as a family and did what was necessary for our Mother.

When I spoke to Mom last Friday, she was in good spirits. With the help of a physical therapist, she had climbed the stairs to the second floor, and sat on her own bed for the first time in over three months. I can close my eyes and see the smile on her face.

No comments: